Nawaz, Maryam seek removal of name from no-fly list
Approach interior ministry for second time since release on bail
Former prime minister Nawaz Sharif and daughter Maryam Nawaz have once again approached the Ministry of Interior to get their names removed from the exit control list (ECL).
The former prime minister, his daughter Maryam Nawaz and son-in-law Captain (retired) Safdar, who were convicted by an Accountability Court and are currently on bail, had earlier submitted an application with the Ministry of Interior on October 4 to get their names removed from the ECL.
After not receiving any reply from the concerned ministry, the trio has once again contacted the ministry.
The applicants have taken the stance that they want to travel abroad, so their names should be taken of the ECL.
The ex-PM argued in his application that nobody could be deprived of his freedom and everybody had equal rights as enshrined in the Constitution of Pakistan.
He said, “have committed no misconduct or abuse of power, nor have hatched any conspiracy or committed terrorism against the State.”
The former PM claimed that the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) could not prove allegations of corruption against him.
“The Accountability Court acquitted [me] in corruption allegations, whereas the Islamabad High Court (IHC) has suspended the punishment in the NAB references.”
He also said that the anti-graft watchdog did not file plea petition against the IHC’s ruling to suspend penalties.
The former premier said in his request that the IHC had not barred him from traveling abroad in its verdict.