Hazaras demand PM to visit Quetta as sit-in continueson third day



Staff Report


The Hazara community on Sunday demanded Prime Minister Imran Khan to visit Quetta to address their grievances as their sit-in protest against Friday’s suicide attack at a vegetable market continued on the third day.

On the third day, the protesters remained steadfast in their demands – immediate action against the perpetrators of attack; implementation of the National Action Plan (NAP) and an earnest effort by the state authorities to fulfil their responsibility of providing security to its people.

Meanwhile, an investigation team comprising senior officials of the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) was also set up to probe the attack. Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Abdul RazzaqCheema said that the team had visited the site of the attack to collect evidence for the investigation.

“The body parts of the suspected attacker have been sent to the Punjab Forensic Science Agency for DNA testing. One the test reports are issued, they will be handed over to Balochistan chief minister,” he said.

Meanwhile, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres strongly condemned the ‘cowardly’ attack in Quetta and extended his condolences to the families of the victims, the people and the government of Pakistan.

“The United Nations expresses its full solidarity with the Government of Pakistan in its fight against terrorism and violent extremism,” Guterres said.

In a statement, the Embassy of Saudi Arabia in Pakistan said, Saudi Arabia stood with Pakistan against all forms of violence, terrorism and extremism.

“Saudi Arabia also shares grief with the government and people of Pakistan and prays for early recovery of those injured in the incident,” the statement said.

At least 20 people were killed and dozens injured in a blast believed to be targeting the Hazara community in Quetta’s Hazarganjisabzimandi.

Eight Hazara, an FC official and two children were among the dead. At least 48 others, including three security personnel, were injured in the blast, police and provincial authorities said.

All 20 killed in the attack were buried on Sunday.