High treason case ; Ready to record statement: Musharraf
Former military ruler General (retd) Pervez Musharraf has said that he is ready to record his statement in the high treason case, however, he implied that he was being victimised.
The video statement, recorded from a hospital bed, came a day after the former president complained of health issues and was shifted to a medical facility in Dubai.
“In my view, the [treason] case against me is baseless. I have gone above and beyond the call of duty for the country. I have fought wars I served the country for 10 years. That’s why I consider the case to be baseless. I consider it to be unfair and the prerequisite of justice are not being fulfilled.”
“The commission can come here and listen to me. They must see themselves how my health condition is and then decide. That commission, with my lawyer, must then be heard in the court,” he added.
The former president also expressed hope that he would get justice in the high treason case. “I hope, I will get justice,” said Musharraf.
Elaborating upon his health, the former dictator said his condition “is very bad”.
“I had been visiting the hospital regularly. This morning also, I felt dizziness and fainted. I had to be admitted to the hospital later.”
Earlier, the Islamabad High Court (IHC) has said the court is ‘burdened’ with the responsibility to hold a high treason trial in a way that is manifestly seen as fair by all parties, including the accused, as such case carries capital punishment.
The IHC three-judge bench — which on November 27 stopped a Special Court from unveiling its order in a high treason case against Gen (retd) Musharraf — issued its 24-page detailed order on Tuesday.
The bench, headed by Chief Justice Athar Minallah, last week passed a short order to stay proceedings of the Special Court after hearing a petition filed by the interior ministry, which is prosecution in the treason case.
The Special Court on November 19 rejected the interior ministry’s request for more time to notify a prosecution team to wrap up the trial initiated by the former PML-N government in 2013.
The Special Court had also rejected a request from Musharraf’s attorney who sought adjournment while announcing that it would hand down its verdict in the absence of the ailing former military ruler, who had flown to the UAE in May 2016 for ‘treatment’ and has not returned since.